Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Monday, May 30, 2011

Live by the Spirit, Live in Freedom

I did rock-climbing for the first time last Saturday. Rock-climbing was touted as an extreme sport by many, yet so many climbers have enjoyed doing it. I thought it was rather boring because things are so still. I am one who would rather dance or swim, if you know what I mean; I like to have more than one thing on the move. Parenting is like that in many ways isn't it?

Would parenting be an extreme sport to you? Or would it be a tad toooo boring?

It is easy to lose our focus when we have 101 things on our plate. Or too much 'time' on hands.


Most of our 24-hours feels like 12-hours. We constantly live on the edge of time poverty. Truth is, we are either preoccupied with something that does not keep step with the holy spirit or fall to the other extreme; having too much 'time' on hands. Having "idle" time on hand means we are not able to prioritize what is urgent.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

I cannot give a fuller explanation of the above scripture then what John Piper writes here at Desiring God Ministries

"
Remember, "flesh" is the old, ordinary human nature that does not relish the things of God and prefers to get satisfaction from independence, power, prestige and worldly pleasures. When we "walk by the Spirit" we are not controlled by those drives."
Parents, especially are often driven mad by the crazy schedules or tantrums of their little ones, and particularly little ones because they are not able to articulate their frustrations, sadness or fear. I often hear parents say " I think I am even more stressed at home then when I am out without my kids". Hence, it was often taken for granted that because many thinks it is less stressful at home, then that must be the way it should be. Or it was often heard that "since others experienced the same kind of stress, then it must be common". What a lie we have bought ourselves into!

The Bible exhorts parents to be teachers of their children at home. Proverbs 6:20 "My child, keep your father's commandment, and do not forsake your mother's teaching..."

It talks of parents being able to discipline their children. Proverbs 13:24 "Those who spare the rod hate their children, but those who love them are diligent to discipline them."

It exhorts women to be the builder of her house. Proverbs 14:1 "The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish tears it down with her own hands."

This verse talks about freedom in the spirit and release from law. "Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom" (2 Corinthians 3:17). I have found that once I understood my role as given by the scriptures, I am able to focus on being the teacher that I am called, a parent who loved enough to discipline, and a wife who must build my family.
You are able to let the holy spirit work in you so much that you experience freedom in doing what you do.
Because of our God-given role we use our time to honour our calling, not given into flesh by squandering our time to do 'something else". We have every right to tell that "something else" to take a back seat if our primary role is not fulfilled. INVESTING in growing and being equipped in our role will directly impact who we are and who we are serving; namely our children, our family and the larger community God has placed us in (the church, the mission field).

Being able to GIVE UP "something else" is also needful in order that we create time and space for God to speak with us and lead us.

Whatever God has called us to do, Stand firm, know our role. We must be ready to CHOOSE to
1) Tell Off
2) Invest
3) Give Up

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13

note: I have much to learn about rock climbing, but I can tell its gonna be our family's new hobby. In rock-climbing, one is required to focus and strategise where to place our hands and legs and which muscles to use in order that the climb is relatively effortless. We are not allowed to hold on to the ropes, however tempting that is.
I did find the climb rather exhilarating once I reach the top.

Anyone interested in parenting greater as well as is interested in this sport as a family, contact me. :)

0 comments: